1. The Lip Bar
I discovered The Lip Bar a few years ago upon moving to New York and briefly meeting founder, Melissa Butler, at a NYFW event. I've had this brand on my radar ever since and was one of those people SMH at my TV screen during that infamous episode of Shark Tank, where they were called "Colorful Cockroaches." We all know, despite the fact black women account for largest growing number of entrepreneurs in the United States, they are least likely to get funded. (and it's not hard to guess why. As Butler stated in an interview with Rolling Out, "I felt like they didn’t acknowledge our business or care about it... It made me realize that I needed to focus more on my audience.) The Lip Bar is a primary example of yet another black owned business that is able to thrive despite all that has been thrown against them. It's been a joy seeing this company rise to greatness.
What You Need to Know
- Owner: Melissa Butler, an ex-Wall Streeter turned entrepreneur who found love in lipstick
- Must-Have Items: Bawse Lady liquid lipstick is a MUST HAVE red lipstick!
2. IMAN Cosmetics
After spending a number of years in the fashion industry as a model, Iman decided to take matters into her own hands and create her own beauty line, and we all couldn't be more grateful.
" I would show up to a shoot fresh faced, ready to be primped and teased into divineness, and the makeup artist of the moment would greet me with what was a commonplace opener at the time: "Did you bring your own makeup?" And more ethnically diverse models knew what that meant: THERE ARE NO FOUNDATIONS FOR YOUR SKIN TONE." - Iman
IMAN Cosmetics brings prestige quality products to the drugstore for beauty lovers with underrepresented complexions.
What You Need to Know
- Owner: Iman, former model, actress, and entrepreneur
- Must-Have Items: Their Luxury Concealing Foundations are what full coverage foundation dreams are made of. Their lipsticks also feel super luxurious, comfy, pigmented, ANNND long lasting.
- Vibe: Fancy, polished, sleek
- Where to buy? : You can purchase this brand from various retailers like Walmart, Walgreens, Target, and CVS.
3. Pat McGrath Labs
World renown makeup artist Pat McGrath blessed us last year when she started her own makeup line. Even though her products are known to sell out in hours (none of her collections are currently available for purchase), she is SUPER interactive with fans on social media during launch days and frequently comments on looks and swatches of her genius goodies. (I was honestly, so impressed!)
- Vibe: Sexy, luxurious, bad and boujee
- Where to buy? : You can purchase this brand from her website, and sometimes Sephora.
What are some of your black owned beauty brands?? Let us know in the comments!
If you are a brand that would like to be featured, please contact email@example.com with the subject BOB Series.