A few of you (on different platforms might I add), have called us out for not posting or supporting enough black owned beauty brands. At first listen, I found that accusation preposterous. We post and promote black owned brands ALL THE TIME! Often unsolicited, for free or at a discount.
But as I thought more about it, I realized that many of you may not know when a brand is or is not black owned. (And we know there are some gray areas, cough cough BlackUp?) The beauty industry truly moves a mile a minute, and we know, it can be hard to keep up. So...we decided to start a series highlighting 3 black owned beauty brands each week. Our main premise is empowering all of YOU in your makeup journeys and KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! We also want to support whenever we can.
So without further ado, lets get into it!!
Juvia's Place first appeared on the scene with their infamous Nubian Palette: a must have palette for those with medium to deep complexions.
Since then, they have come out with 5 new eye shadow palettes, two blush palettes, and single shadows. With their uber pigmented shades and brown skin friendly product development, they are well on their way to dominating the beauty industry.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Owner: Chichi Eburu, a Nigeria-born wife and mother of two
- Must-Have Items: Honestly, everything. We're not kidding. (For more swatches of this brand, DL the Cocoa Swatches app and follow us on IG)
- Vibe: All palettes are inspired by African names, cities, and themes.
- Where to buy? : Currently, this brand is only available on its website. Follow them on IG to keep up with their new releases. (And use COCOA FOR $$ off)
I first heard of Beauty Bakerie after coming across an article about its founder on Beyonce.com. Cashmere Nicole managed to build this brand while simultaneously battling breast cancer; a story that is truly remarkable and inspiring (you can read more about it in my interview with her here.) Since then, this beauty brand has completely flourished, now available through beauty retailers like ASOS and soon come, Forever 21! They have some of the best branding in the beauty biz, with every single product correlating to a bakery or baked goods. Oh yea, and I forgot to mention, they just opened their very first brick and mortar store in San Diego! So yea, basically, they are killing it.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Owner: Cashmere Nicole
- Must-Have Items: The lip whips (these babies DO NOT COME OFF! This formula will last you all day!) and the highlighters. The So Icy Illuminators will give you glow for days.
- Vibe: All of their products are bakery inspired! Don't be surprised if you get a craving for cake while doing your makeup.
- Where to buy? : Currently, this brand is available on its website, ASOS , and soon Forever 21! (They are currently looking for people to become the new face!) As per usual, you can check out more swatches from this brand in our app!
MUA Danessa Myricks' work is hard to miss. I always double tap without hesitation whenever I see her ethereal, creative makeup looks show up on my Instagram feed. As a makeup artist, she has a unique perspective on product development and has created a range of products that suit a wide array of complexions and skin types.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Owner: Danessa Myricks
- Must-Have Items: Her Enlight powders allow you to get creative with the idea of highlighting and her latest release, foundations, are proving to be a hot ticket item with a full coverage formula and incredible shade range.
- Vibe: Makeup artist professional - these products are formulated to be used by both makeup artists and regular beauty consumers alike. The packaging is sleek and makes products easy to use.
- Where to buy? : Currently, this brand is available on its website, and according to her Instagram, at one of their retail partners:
These are all brands that have been featured heavily on our social media pages, and in our mobile app.
(SHAMLESS PLUG: With a mobile app, online magazine, and growing social media pages - we are a black owned beauty brand too! 😉)
What are some of your black owned beauty brands?? Let us know in the comments! If you are a brand that would like to be featured, please contact email@example.com with the subject BOB Series.